JB Zimmerman History
Jacob B. Zimmerman began in the electrical, plumbing and heating business in 1931. This first store was located near the Blue Ball square in what is known today as the Block House Restaurant. They also sold Delaval milking machines and cream separators. Adding hardware to the business created a need for a new building by 1938. The new store was built five houses west of the Blue Ball garage and quickly became a mainstay in the small town. Jacob and Laura later built their home beside the business. The Zimmerman family included two sons, Melvin and Charles and they were incorporated into the business in 1960. When JB Zimmerman and Sons, Inc. expanded by opening a store in Strasburg, Melvin and his family moved to the area in 1962 to manage it. The Blue Ball store continued to grow and a new building was built less than a mile west in 1974. Charles was the manager for that location. The Strasburg store quickly outgrew their store location and a new store was built in 1980.
Desiring to stay competitive and grow the business, a decision was made to become a member of the True Value co-op in 1971.
This change brought a broader array of products, competitive prices and national recognition as a quality dealer of hardware. Customers responded and JB Zimmerman and Sons, Inc. became a leader in hardware in the area.
JB Zimmerman and Sons began selling major appliances in the late 1930's. By the end of 1945, the department expanded and eventually Home Entertainment products could also be found at JB's. Older people in the community remember going to "Jake's" for hardware and today people say they're going down to "JB's" to do their shopping. No matter what they call it, JB Zimmerman and Sons represents a long history of serving their customers in a way that keeps them coming back!
The Blue Ball store was enlarged in 1985 to the present 29,500 sq. ft.
In 1992 the Delaval Dairy equipment division, which had long since graduated from selling cream separators to selling, installing and servicing all aspects of dairy equipment, moved to their present location, the original hardware store location, at 1044 Main Street Blue Ball. The Strasburg store became independent from the original business in 1993 and was renamed "Zimmerman's Hardware Inc." The Blue Ball store took the name of "JB Zimmerman" in the year 2000.
After a major renovation in 2000. JB Zimmerman now offers a Just Ask Rental, a True Value Paint shop, and a Live Kitchen. The store was remerchandised and several side warehouse areas were reconstructed and added on to the housewares and paint departments.
JB Zimmerman has numerous factory trained technicians on the road servicing Major Appliances.
Now, over 80 years later, Jacob B. Zimmerman's business is still family owned and operated and continues to provide the best products at the best prices with the personal service that Jake would have given to the customers himself.
We are proud to serve the community and our customers with the same strong work ethic and faith in God. Our desire is to make a difference in the lives of our employees and our customers.